Monday, February 9, 2009

Frank O. Gehry

My first project in my Interior Design II class is an artist's residence. A 3 month studio/apartment and living space for one. It is located in the Chelsea district of NY, and surrounded by culture. I am really liking this project so far!

I was really inspired by Frank O. Gehry's jewelry line for Tiffany & CO. [pictured below] The soft, angular lines were quite eye opening and will serve as quite the motif. 
My concept statement:
The concept for this artist's residence, located in Chelsea, New York, is an organic jewelry line designed by Frank O. Gehry. Further inspired by his design for the IAC Building on 11th street and embracing the elements of design, such as open space, geometric and organic forms, variations of texture, and light to help emphasize the concept. My design will can be further demonstrated by the principles of scale, asymmetrical balance, variety, and rhythm. 

SO... with all of that said, here are some of my 3rd generation floor plan sketches. 


^Notice the "fish" here in the lower left corner. 
This shape is not only featured as a pendant in his jewelry line [pictured top] but it was also a motif Gehry used in many of his buildings. 

I am really excited now that this project is rolling. i think i came up with something really innovative this time around. 

Let me know what you think!
-JTaylorrr.

No comments: